Friday, February 6, 2009

Runners and anemia

Not being a very fast runner in the first place, and thinking I had clogged sinuses, or just plain hated running in the cold, I have discovered I have anemia!
I have been on a gradual downward slope for at least six months, and since "Marathon runners who are vegetarian" is a category for iron deficiency, it seems I am there. I do eat fish but stopped eating meat over a year ago.
So now I am slurping up iron (ferrous sulfate) prescribed by the Doctor - You really do need the blood test, as iron is a pesky little mineral, too little, and you gasp, dizzily into a weakened state, too much, and your organs do weird things, like give you Cirrhosis of the Liver...
So I did trudge off to the Doctor for 2 separate blood tests - Only good thing was I didn't have to fast.
So now, even though I am running the Hyannis Marathon on February 22, I am running hardly at all. I have a three week bizarre plan however: I am running long and slow (probably four hours) on Sunday, then I am not running until the marathon - I will run/walk and go extremely slow - Fortunately, this time I have the perfect built in excuse, and Hyannis gives you six hours to finish (I may just take that long!)
So if you are dragging along, and you are running slower and slower, think about getting that blood test.

No comments:

Post a Comment